UC Santa Barbara Smoke-Free and Tobacco-Free Policy
As of January 2014, the entire University of California system is smoke-free and tobacco-free. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, e-cigarettes, and unregulated products will not be allowed on UC-owned or leased properties.
UC Santa Barbara is committed to providing students, faculty, staff, and visitors with a smoke-free and tobacco-free environment. Under the authority of California Government Code 7597.1, smoking and the use of all tobacco products, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e.g., "e-cigarettes") are prohibited anywhere at all indoor and outdoor spaces managed by UC Santa Barbara.
Violations of the adopted policy by students, faculty, and staff may result in University disciplinary action. Campus visitors will be asked to comply with the policy or leave campus.
A smoke-free and tobacco-free environment will save lives and improve the health of our community. We thank you for not smoking or using any tobacco products on campus.
What the Policy Means
All UCSB-managed properties (facilities, buildings, grounds, athletics properties) are smoke-free and tobacco-free, regardless of whether or not notices are posted.
Exceptions to the Policy (tobacco use may be permitted under the following circumstances):
- Research involving tobacco or tobacco products, upon review and approval by the Office of Research in consultation with the Executive Vice Chancellor.
- For educational or clinical purposes, upon review and approval by the Executive Vice Chancellor of a submitted request for exception.
- In traditional ceremonies of recognized cultural and religious groups and theatrical productions that require smoking, upon review and approval by the Executive Vice Chancellor of a submitted request for exception.
- Smoke, like any other air contaminant, must be controlled. It is required that all requests for exceptions be reviewed by the Director of Environmental Health and Safety and the Campus Fire Marshal.
Non-permitted Items and Activities
All forms of smoking, tobacco use, and unregulated nicotine products, including but not limited to:
- cigarettes, cigars (commercially or self-rolled)
- pipes, hookahs, water pipes
- electronic cigarettes
- smokeless tobacco (e.g., snuff, snus, chew)
- Tobacco use including smoking, chewing, dipping, or any other use of tobacco products.
- Smoking refers to inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying of any lighted or heated tobacco product, as well as non-tobacco smoking substances and smoking instruments.
The sale or distribution of smoking, tobacco, and unregulated nicotine products on or within UCSB-managed property is prohibited. Additionally, advertising smoking, tobacco, and unregulated nicotine products in University publications and within UCSB-managed property is prohibited.
In order to report areas where you repeatedly see smoking/tobacco/nicotine use, please use the anonymous reporting tool.