Smoking and Tobacco Cessation Resources
A variety of smoking and tobacco cessation resources are available to students, staff, and faculty.
UCSB Smoking and Tobacco Cessation Resources
UCSB Alcohol & Drug Program, in collaboration with the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department, offers free tobacco cessation services to all UCSB students. Students can enroll in the Call it Quits: Stop Smoking program by making an appointment with a Tobacco Cessation Specialist who will help you make a plan and stay motivated in your efforts to quit tobacco use. Aetna Student Health has partnered with CVS MinuteClinics to provide in-person, one-on-one wellness services to Aetna medical members for smoking/tobacco use coaching. The University of California Student Health Insurance Plan offers Smoking Cessation Benefits.
For Staff and Faculty
Environmental Health & Safety will be offering free Smoking Cessation classes. The small group classes will provide information and support to staff and faculty interested in quitting smoking and tobacco use. Announcements of classes will be sent out via the D-list.
UC Health Plan Resources
To support the smoke-free and tobacco-free policy and to help those who want to quit smoking, all UC-sponsored medical plans available to faculty and staff will cover the cost of certain over-the-counter and prescription nicotine replacement products when prescribed by a physician. You can view the UCOP Tobacco Cessation Resources flyer in both English-language and Spanish-language. For complete details, see your medical plan booklet.
- The Decision Power® program was developed for smoking and tobacco cessation (see fact sheet) and is only available by logging in as a Health Net member.
- The Quit Tobacco link on Health Net website links members to the American Cancer Society "Quit for Life" program. Health Net has contracted with this program to provide services to members.
Kaiser's smoking cessation program "Quit Smoking" is part of the Health Lifestyles Programs.
UC Care provides Pharmacy Benefits for Smoking Cessation: Pharmacy Benefits | UC Care.
Delta Dental provides information on the effects of smoking on oral health and gum disease. No services are provided.
Mobile Apps and External Resources
Click on the links below to reach the mobile app or website for each of these resources.Mobile Apps
- Tobacco Prevention Settlement Program, Santa Barbara County Public Health Department
- Be Tobacco Free
- California Smokers' Helpline
- National Cancer Institute
- Freedom from Smoking, American Lung Association–online program
- American Legacy Foundation – Cessation
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Quit Smoking
- Smokefree.gov – Step-by-Step Quit Guide
- Become an Ex